UPSC Civil Services (IAS) 2020 Notification Out, Exam Dates, Application Form & Eligibility
EXAMINATION NOTICE NO. 05/2020-CSP DATE: 12/02/2020 (LAST DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: 03/03/2020) of CIVIL SERVICES EXAMINATION, 2020 (The Commission’s Website: www.upsc.gov.in)
What is IAS Exam?
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conducts Civil Services exam to recruit candidates for the three All India Services and Central Civil Services for various departments of the Government of India. The Civil Services Exam is commonly called as the IAS Exam. IAS notification 2020 will start the IAS exam process officially. IAS 2020 Notification will outline the vacancies, timeline of the exam, official IAS syllabus, number of attempts and the likes.
Latest Update: UPSC Notification 2020 Analysis
See here details related to the UPSC Notification 2020
- UPSC Notification 2020 was released by UPSC as per the UPSC calendar for 2020. UPSC has notified 796 vacancies which are very less as compared to the previous year even when the services related to Indian Railways are also notified in the UPSC notification 2020.
- The IAS exam is conducted to recruit the top functionaries who chair the top positions in all the government departments. The topper of the IAS exam has the opportunity to become the Cabinet Secretary to the Government of India. It is the highest bureaucratic position one person can have in India. UPSC conducts the IAS Exam for the following services.
All India Services
- Indian Administrative Services(IAS)
- Indian Police Servies(IPS)
- Indian Forest Services(IFoS) [ Prelims Only]
- Central Civil Services
- Indian Foreign Services(IFS)
- Indian P & T Accounts & Finance Service, Group ‘A’.
- Indian Audit and Accounts Service, Group ‘A’.
- Indian Revenue Service (Customs and Central Excise), Group ‘A’.
- Indian Defence Accounts Service, Group ‘A’.
- Indian Revenue Service (I.T.), Group ‘A’.
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service, Group ‘A’ (Assistant Works Manager, Administration).
- Indian Postal Service, Group ‘A’.
- Indian Civil Accounts Service, Group ‘A’.
- Indian Railway Traffic Service, Group ‘A’.
- Indian Railway Accounts Service, Group 'A'.
- Indian Railway Personnel Service, Group ‘A’.
- Post of Assistant Security Commissioner in Railway Protection Force, Group ‘A’
- Indian Defence Estates Service, Group ‘A’.
- Indian Information Service (Junior Grade), Group ‘A’.
- Indian Trade Service, Group 'A'.
- Indian Corporate Law Service, Group ‘A’.
- Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service, Group ‘B’ (Section Officer’s Grade).
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Civil Service, Group 'B'.
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Police Service, Group 'B'.
- Pondicherry Civil Service, Group 'B'.
- Pondicherry Police Service, Group ‘B’.
IAS Exam Highlights
- Civil Services (IAS) Exam 2020
- Union Public Service Commission
- Once a year
- Offline - Pen and Paper Mode
- Prelims - Mains(Written) - Mains(Interview)
Language Prelims - English and Hindi
No. of Test Cities Test centres across the nation
Exam Helpdesk No. 011-23098543 / 23385271 / 23381125 / 23098591
Official Website https://www.upsc.gov.in/
IAS Exam Dates
Candidates can go through important UPSC IAS exam dates 2020 below:
- EventDatesSalient Features
- IAS Exam 2020 Notification 12-Feb-2020 The UPSC issued the Civil Services (IAS) Exam Notification 2020 for 796 vacancies
- Last date to apply for IAS Exam 2020 3-Mar-2020 The IAS online application will be accepted until this date.
- IAS Prelims Exam 2020 31-May-2020 IAS Prelims 2020 Exam will be conducted in offline mode across the nation.
- IAS Prelims 2020 Result To be announced The result of the IAS Prelims Exam 2020 will be announced by UPSC.
- IAS Main Exam 2020 18-Sep-2020 The IAS Main Exam 2020 will be conducted by UPSC
- Eligibility for IAS is one of the first questions which crops up in the mind of an IAS aspirant. The nationality, the number of attempts, age limit and the educational qualifications are some of the basic eligibility criteria for IAS exam. All candidates who wish to appear in IAS exam 2020 need to ensure that they meet all the eligibility criteria as mentioned below.
- For Indian Administrative Service (IAS) and Indian Police Service (IPS), a candidate must be a citizen of India. For all other services, a candidate can either be a citizen of India or
- A subject of Nepal/ Bhutan
- A Tibetan refugee who came over to India before January 1, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India
Note: Candidates who are subjects of Nepal/ Bhutan or Tibetan refugees are not eligible to apply for Indian Foreign Service (IFS).
Age Limit for IAS Exam 2020
Candidates must be minimum 21 years and maximum 32 years of age as on August 1, 2020. This means that candidates must have born not earlier than August 2, 1988 and not later than August 1, 1999.
- There is also age relaxation of some years for reserved category candidates:
Candidates must hold a graduation degree in any stream from any university established under the Act passed by the Parliament of India or State legislature. Candidates who are in the last year of the graduation and awaiting results are also eligible to apply for IAS Preliminary exam. However, such candidates need to submit the proof of passing the requisite exam at the time of applying for the Main exam. The applications for IAS Main exam are usually released in the month of July/ August.
Note: Candidates who have cleared MBBS or any other medical exam but have not completed their internship, by the time of submission of their Civil Services Main Exam applications, will be provisionally admitted to the exam. However, provisional admission to the exam will be given only if candidates submit along with their application a copy of the certificate from the concerned authority of the university/ institution that they had passed the requisite final professional medical exam, informs the official website.
Candidates must be physically fit according to physical standards given in the Civil Services exam notification.
Number of Attempts in IAS Exam
- All candidates are allowed a maximum of six attempts in the IAS exam. However, it may be noted that the restriction of the number of attempts is not applicable for candidates belonging to SC/ST category. Also, candidates belonging to OBC and Persons with Benchmark Disabilities categories are allowed a maximum of nine attempts in the exam.
- If a candidate appears in any one paper of the IAS Prelims Exam, then it is deemed that he has made an attempt in the IAS Exam.
IAS Syllabus has the highest priority in the minds of the IAS aspirants as they start IAS preparation one year before appearing in the IAS exam. IAS syllabus incorporates all the concepts, facts and process which are relevant for humankind to exist. There is nothing which can be termed as out of IAS syllabus. There is one common saying about the IAS syllabus that " Everything under the Sun is IAS Syllabus".
IAS Exam Process
- IAS exam is conducted in two stages – Preliminary (objective-type paper) and Mains (descriptive paper and interview). UPSC IAS Preliminary paper is conducted to select candidates for the Main(written) exam. IAS Prelims is just a screening exam and its marks are not considered for the final merit.
- UPSC Civil Services Main Exam, as the name suggests, is the main stage of the IAS Exam Process. The marks of the IAS Main exam is taken into consideration for the IAS Final Result. The final merit list for the UPSC Civil Services Exam provides a rank to the candidates. Based on these ranks, Services are allotted to the candidates.
Step 1: Fill IAS Exam Application Form
Candidates will be able to fill the IAS application form 2020 in online mode at upsconline.nic.in. Once the application form is filled, candidates also need to pay Civil Services exam application fee in online or offline mode.
Step 2: Download IAS Preliminary Exam Admit Card
Candidates, who successfully filled the online application form, will be downloading their IAS admit card from the official website of the commission three weeks before the commencement of the exam. It may be noted that admit cards will not be sent by post to any candidates. Also, candidates who fail to carry their admit card on the day of exam will not be allowed to take the exam.
Step 3: IAS Preliminary Exam 2020
The IAS Prelims Exam 2020 will be conducted on May 31. Candidates need to appear for IAS Prelims exam 2020. The Preliminary exam is conducted in order to shortlist candidates for the next stage of the Civil Services exam.
Step 4: Filling of IAS DAF
The candidates, who clear the IAS prelims exam, need to fill the Detailed Application Form(DAF) for the IAS Main Exam. The DAF is a very important document and plays a very important role in the IAS Interview and during the service allocation process. It is important because the candidates mention his service preference and state preference in this form only. Based on the information given in the DAF and the vacancies, the services and the state cadres are allotted to the candidates after the IAS result.
Step 5: Download IAS Mains Exam Admit Card
All candidates, who clear the IAS Prelims exam, can download their admit cards for the Civil Services Mains exam 2020. The admit cards will be available on the official website of UPSC three weeks before the commencement of the Mains exam. The duration of each paper is three hours.
Step 6: IAS Mains Exam
IAS Main Exam 2020 will commence from September 18. Candidates need to appear for IAS Mains Exam as per the details mentioned on the admit card. IAS Mains exam consists of a total of nine descriptive papers. Out of the Nine, two papers are of qualifying in nature. These IAS Question papers are of General English and General Language paper. There are Four General Studies papers, One Essay Paper and two optional Subject paper. The marks of each paper are assigned as follows.
Sl.No.Name of the PaperMarks allotted
- 1 Essay Paper 250
- 2 General Studies I 250
- 3 General Studies II 250
- 4 General Studies III 250
- 5 General Studies IV 250
- 6 Optional Subject Paper I 250
- 7 Optional Subject Paper I 250
- IAS Main (written)Total 1750
- IAS Interview 275
- Total 2025
Step 7: IAS Result 2020
After both the stages of Civil Services Exam (Preliminary and Mains) are conducted successfully, UPSC will release a final IAS result 2020 on its official website. Candidates whose names/ roll numbers appear in the merit list will then be eligible for recruitment in different services based on their preferences given in the DAF and the number of vacancies for the service.
IAS Exam Centres
IAS exam centres are notified in the IAS notification each year. IAS Preliminary exam is conducted in about 72 cities across India. IAS Mains exam is conducted in a total of 24 cities across India. The IAS Exam Centres for Prelims and Main exam are given below
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) published an official notification for Indian Civil Services Examination 2020 for IAS, IPS and other Civil Services. Eligible candidates can apply online for this examination before 19th March, 2020 at below given address. You can view detailed notification for UPSC CSE 2020 by below mentioned link.
Advertisement No.: 05/2020-CSP
Name of posts:
- Indian Administrative Service (IAS)
- Indian Police Services (IPS)
- And more... View official notification below
- Any Graduate
- 21 - 32 years (as on 1st August, 2020)
- Candidates (excepting Female/SC/ST/Persons with Benchmark Disability Candidates who are exempted from payment of fee) are required to pay fee of Rs. 100/- (Rupees One Hundred only) either by remitting the money in any Branch of State Bank of India or by using Visa/Master/RuPay Credit/Debit Card or by using Internet Banking of SBI. Applicants who opt for "Pay by Cash" mode should print the system generated Pay-in-slip during part II registration and deposit the fee at the counter of SBI Branch on the next working day only.
- Final Selection will be based on written exam / interview.
How to Apply
- Interested and Eligible Candidates can apply online by below mentioned link.
- UPSC CSP 2020 Online Application start from: 12/02/2020
- Last date for UPSC CSPE 2020: 03/03/2020 (till 18:00 hrs)
Release of IAS Admit Card 2020
- April 2020 (Tentative)
IAS Prelims 2020 Exam Date: 31 May 2020
IAS Mains 2020 Exam Date: 18 September 2020
Official Websitez; click here
Updates on our telegram channel: Click here